Tuesday, March 10, 2009


I recently discovered, in a fleeting moment of cooking maturity, that sometimes a dish is just not worth saving. I can attempt to make right an over-salted chili by throwing an entire bag of potatoes into it, only then all I have is potato soup/chili, and it still tastes like the Atlantic. Today I attempted to make a bit of pesto for a would-be spectacular sandwich (which I will get to). It just never came together, the fresh basil didn't taste all that fresh, the garlic wasn't 'garlicky' enough, and after dumping what seemed like a pound of pine nuts into two tablespoons of already bad pesto I called it quits. Into the trash it went, and out of the rubble came a new creation: basil and garlic mayo. Not perfect, but the mayonnaise did its job more than sufficiently. This pesto heartache was all caused by me craving a Cornish game hen sandwich, which is fast becoming a day after bread bake tradition.


I apologize for doing this in reverse order, but the Ciabatta and the Bird Roasting will have to wait for another, more involved post, mainly because it's 2a.m., but also because the sandwich was so good that it arguably deserved to be talked about first.







Ciabatta
Roasted Cornish game hen stuffed with garlic and dill
Basil Mayo (chopped basil, olive oil, mayo, one clove garlic)
Spinach
Drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar


I'm fading quickly, but because I know you (is anyone actually still reading?) are just hanging on my every word, devouring every bite, I will leave you with another picture. I can only hope it will satisfy your hunger.





Posted by Growing Dallas at 11:17 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment