Friday Night

Friday, March 13, 2009


The last few days have been cold and rainy and today was no exception. After partying a little last night the only suitable agenda for today was to take a couple three hour rainy day naps and make some pizza with the guys. Does it really get much better? I think not.

I love pizza, not only because it's wonderful, but because it's one of the few foods that a majority of people can come to some agreement on. Almost everyone can at least figure out some combination of toppings on some sauce on some style of dough that they like. Tonight was a great night of pizza making for us. In all we did 12 pies with pretty simple but good ingredients: pepperoni, sweet italian sausage, onion, portabellini, pepper, artichoke, and of course mozzarella. For the sauce I went back to a style that I haven't been to in a while. Of recent my sauces have been pretty classic, only using crushed tomatoes, a small amount of onion and garlic, and tiny bit of basil and oregano. Today I strayed away from pizza classicism and went where I feel most comfortable, this time absolutely loading the sauce with onions and garlic, and now adding in white wine, red pepper flakes, and a healthy serving of herbs and fresh cracked salt and pepper. Getting compliments on the sauce once again was nice, and I realized that the void in my life has been single-handedly caused by my pizza eating friends not acclaiming my pizza sauce over the last five months. Craving attention and praise, it's obvious which sauce will be made in the future. Problem solved.

My favorite pizza of the night-
Portabellini
Onion
Prosciutto
Mozzarella






Towards the end of the party a great thing happened- the fire was burning perfectly, it was time for AT to take a break, he had been working hard to turn out plenty of pies while I did the oven-ing, and the frantic slice grabbing/eating pace that accompanies our parties was slowing down. I finally had the chance to make a few pizzas all on my own, concentrating on each one, one at a time; this is, in fact, a rare occurrence. I was able to go from beginning to end without the delegation of tasks required by hungry-people time constraints, and I relaxed a bit, knowing that the guests were full and these pizzas would be just for me. Although at the time I was full from grabbing slices here and there through the night, these untouched pies will serve me well tomorrow, providing a perfect Saturday breakfast and a great reward for a successful Friday night.

Posted by Growing Dallas at 9:13 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment